If you are experiencing frequent pain in your jaws or if you have noticed a clicking or popping sound when you open your mouth, then you may be the patient of a temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder. The latter is quite common in young women and may lead to a number of seemingly unrelated symptoms. If you are suffering from any such symptoms, then you need to immediately visit the dental clinic to discuss about your TMJ problems, so that your dentist can help you manage and improve your ability to chew normally.
Some of the Most Symptoms and Signs of TMJ Disorder
Below are some of the most common signs that indicate you may need to seek dentist care for a TMJ disorder:
• Facial, jaw, or ear pain
• Pain in the neck and shoulders
• Popping, clicking, or grating sounds when you open or close your mouth
• Jaw locking open or shut
• Pain when talking, chewing, or yawning
• Hearing loss or tinnitus
• Muscle spasms
• Difficulty chewing or biting
• Difficulty opening your mouth all the way
Causes TMJ Disorders?
The cause of TMJ problems may not always be clear, but many factors can contribute. These are some potential causes for TMJ symptoms:
• Trauma to the face or jaw
• Stress-related jaw-clenching or teeth-grinding
• Muscle disease
• Other dental problems such as malocclusion
• Some dental surgeries
How TMJ Disorders are Treated
You can visit your family dentist to know more about the treatment based on the gravity of the disorder. He may be able to treat your symptoms, or he would refer you a TMJ specialist. Here’s a list of treatments that may be helpful to you, and they are;
• Applying ice or heat to the jaw
• Anti-inflammatory or pain medications
• Resting the jaw for several days by eating soft foods
• Treatment for night-time tooth-grinding or jaw clenching
• Stress reduction
• Treatment of underlying dental disorders
• Surgery to repair damaged TMJ joint
If you are experiencing severe pain or you are not able to open your mouth, it is best to contact a TMJ specialist, or seek emergency medical treatment.
Visit SmilePerfectors for Affordable TMJ Treatment in Tysons Corner
If you think you may be suffering from a TMJ disorder, please visit SmilePerfectors for affordable TMJ treatment in Tysons Corner. SmilePerfectors is here to extend a helping hand to anyone living with a TMJ disorder and can provide restorative and preventive TMJ treatments in Tysons Corner. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs.
A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover affordable dentists who truly care. To schedule an appointment online for TMJ treatment in Tysons Corner, please visit us at https://www.smileperfectors.com/page/contact-us. You can also call us at 703-356-1200 to schedule an appointment over the call.